Research Scientist in Brain Science Institute, RIKEN (2)
Laboratory for Symbolic Cognitive Development (Laboratory Head: Atsushi Iriki) in RIKEN Brain Science Institute is seeking a research scientist participating a research project ”Establishment of higher-order ‘self consciousness’ by integrating internal and external worlds”.
- Research Field
We try to uncover evolutionary precursors of human higher cognitive functions grounded onto physical morphologies and patterns of structured bodily actions, based on behavioral and neurophysiological analyses on primates, which were trained to use tools and other high-tech apparatus.
- Job title and Job description
Research Scientist, one person
We seek highly motivated candidates who are interested in our research project ”Establishment of higher-order ‘self consciousness’ by integrating internal and external worlds”. This project is supported by one of CIFAR (Canadian Institute For Advanced Research) Catalyst Projects, to establish collaborations between fellows of Azrieli Program in Brain, Mind & Consciousness project (www.cifar.ca/research/brain-mind-consciousness/). Our collaboration is with Professor Axel Cleeremans (Université Libre de Bruxelle, Belgium), aiming to clarify the neural mechanism of the representation of self-consciousness, basically using macaque monkeys in our laboratory and working with human participants whenever relevant in Prof. Cleeremans’ laboratory.
Excellent research experience in training macaque monkeys to perform cognitive behavioral tasks, electrophysiological recordings from those trained monkeys, and/or neuroanatomical experiments of the primate brain, together with functional brain imaging is desirable.
Applicants should have a PhD in a related field.
- Work location
Laboratory for Symbolic Cognitive Development is located in following address.
RIKEN Brain Science Institute,
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako-shi, Saitama 351-0198, Japan
- Salary and benefits
- One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to the end of the fiscal year exceeding seven years since the initial date of hire.
- RIKEN will decide whether to enter into a new contract on the basis of the employee’s abilities, work load, performance, work attitude, continuation of the center, laboratory or project in which the employee is involved at the time of termination of the original contract, and on the basis of RIKEN’s situation and budget conditions at the time.
- For contracts entered into on or after April 1, 2013, RIKEN will not enter into a new fixed-term employment contract that extends the employee’s total years of employment at RIKEN to more than 10 years.
- When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY 2017 to decide its operations from FY 2018 and beyond, and it is decided that the Employee’s research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee’s contract will not be renewed for FY 2018 year that would extend employment beyond the center’s final fiscal year.
- Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai). Days off include public holidays, New Year’s holidays (Dec. 29 – Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
- These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
- Application and required documents
1) Complete CV with a photograph
2) List of research achievement and publications
3) Research statement (including your research interests and future plans)
4) Two letters of recommendation (including one from the current supervisor, if available) and the contact information (affiliation, address, telephone number, e-mail address, brief description about the relationship with the applicant) of the references.
Application will be closed when the position is filled.
[Handling Personal Data]
Handling of Personal Data: All private data sent to RIKEN in application for employment is handled in strict confidentiality, and such data is not utilized for any other purpose or disclosed to any third party. Application documents will not be returned.
- Selection process
Selection will be made based on application screening and interviews.
- Start of Employment
- Send application to
Please send your application documents in a PDF format by email to the following address.
- Contact Information
Team assistant: Nobuko Nakajima
Laboratory for Symbolic Cognitive Development
RIKEN Brain Science Institute
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
For inquiries, please send an email.