FENS-JNS young researchers exchange support program
The Japan Neuroscience Society (JNS) and FENS support under the YREP agreement travel and/or accommodation costs associated with participation in training courses or exchange training stays of young researchers from Europe and Japan.
YREP stipends up to a maximum of € 2,000 cover the actual travel expenses (economy flight only) and expenses linked to accommodation during the training period. The training course or the exchange training stay must have a minimum length of at least two weeks before August 31, 2016. YREP stipends can be complementary to other financial support obtained by the young researcher such as support from the sending and/or the receiving lab or obtained by the student for the course and school participation. This time, the deadline is Sept 15, 2015.
Supported training activities:
- - Training stay in a host laboratory:
- The PI of the host laboratory must be a member of the JNS (receiving a European scientist) or a FENS member (receiving a student from Japan). (S)he organises the support of the young researcher during the visit.
- – Training course attendance:
- The training course is part of the training portfolio of either FENS or JNS:
- FENS training courses
- JNS training courses (currently there is no appliable JNS training courses)
* FENS and JNS encourage that the sending and/or receiving laboratories contribute up to a maximum of 500 € to the expenses of the candidate or that the course organizers waive course fees up to a maximum of 500 €.
Eligibility criteria: To be eligible for a stipend under the YREP programme, the applicants must be:
- undergraduate or graduate students, working towards a master or PhD degree, or early phase postdocs (max three years after PhD graduation) and be
- JNS members (for training activities in Europe) or FENS members (for training activities in Japan).
- CV with list of publications and society meeting presentations;
- Description of past research experience and accomplishments, and the training the applicant intends to obtain in the host laboratory/by attending the specified course (up to 3 pages in total);
- Recommendation letter from the current supervisor;
- Acceptance letter from the host institution (if applying for an exchange training stay in a laboratory) or received confirmation email following your online submitted application (if applying for a training course).
All documents should be written in English.
- To apply for a training course** or exchange training stay in Europe, please complete the application pack available for download here.
** Please note that application for a training course in Europe requires online application for the training course via the FENS webpage and acceptance to the course, following the evaluation of submitted applications via the online application.
- To apply for a training course or exchange training stay in Japan, please follow this link
- – Young researchers from Japan (i.e. going to Europe) should send their application via email (a single PDF file attachment by email, whenever possible) to FENS at email@example.com
- – European young researchers going to Japan (for a training activity in Japan) are requested to send their application via email to JNS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadlines for the YREP stipends:
- – Applications for the exchange training stays are evaluated twice per year in April 1st and September 15th.
- – Application deadlines for training courses in Europe are listed on the Cajal training courses page
JNS Secretariat Office
Hongo Building 9F, Hongo 7-2-2, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
Tadashi Isa, Chair of International Collaboration Committee, JNS