FENS-JNS young researchers exchange support program
The Japan Neuroscience Society (JNS) and FENS support under the YREP agreement travel and/or accommodation costs associated with participation in training courses or exchange training stays of young researchers from Europe and Japan.
YREP stipends up to a maximum of € 2,000 cover the actual travel expenses (economy flight only) and expenses linked to accommodation during the training period. The training course or the exchange training stay must have a minimum length of at least two weeks. YREP stipends can be complementary to other financial support obtained by the young researcher such as support from the sending and/or the receiving lab* or obtained by the student for the course and school participation.
Supported training activities:
- - Training stay in a host laboratory:
- The PI of the host laboratory must be a member of the JNS (receiving a European scientist) or a FENS member (receiving a student from Japan). (S)he organises the support of the young researcher during the visit.
- - Training course attendance:
- The training course is part of the training portfolio of either FENS or JNS:
- FENS training courses
* FENS and JNS encourage that the sending and/or receiving laboratories contribute up to a maximum of 500 € to the expenses of the candidate or that the course organizers waive course fees up to a maximum of 500 €.
Eligibility criteria: To be eligible for a stipend under the YREP programme, the applicants must be:
- undergraduate or graduate students, working towards a master or PhD degree, or early phase postdocs (max three years after PhD graduation) and be
- JNS members (for training activities in Europe) or FENS members (for training activities in Japan).
- CV with list of publications and society meeting presentations;
- Description of past research experience and accomplishments, and the training the applicant intends to obtain in the host laboratory/by attending the specified course (up to 3 pages in total);
- Recommendation letter from the current supervisor;
- Acceptance letter from the host institution (if applying for an exchange training stay in a laboratory) or received confirmation email following your online submitted application (if applying for a training course).
All documents should be written in English.
- To apply for a training course** or exchange training stay in Europe, please complete the application pack available for download here.
** Please note that application for a training course in Europe requires online application for the training course via the FENS webpage and acceptance to the course, following the evaluation of submitted applications via the online application.
- To apply for a training course or exchange training stay in Japan, please follow this link
- - Young researchers from Japan (i.e. going to Europe) should send their application via email (a single PDF file attachment by email, whenever possible) to FENS at firstname.lastname@example.org
- - European young researchers going to Japan (for a training activity in Japan) are requested to send their application via email to JNS at email@example.com.
Deadlines for the YREP stipends:
JNS Secretariat Office
Hongo Building 9F, Hongo 7-2-2, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
Tadashi Isa, Chair of International Collaboration Committee, JNS