Dear JNS members,
The call for this travel award has been cancelled due to the cancellation of Neuroscience 2020 (SfN's 50th annual meeting).
JNS and SfN jointly organize a travel award exchange program for PhD-seeking graduate students and postdoctoral investigators to attend the annual meeting of their counterpart societies.
JNS is pleased to offer five travel awards to JNS members who will each receive up to $2,500 support to attend the SfN‘s 50th Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C. from October 24-28, 2020 (JNS-SfN Travel Award application deadline:
July 16, 2020 August 19, 2020 *extended!!). Members who wish to apply to this travel award must have successfully completed the SfN abstract submission before applying to this travel award. Awardees are selected based on the scientific merit of their abstract submitted to SfN and the strength of additional application materials. Upon acceptance, SfN will provide further instructions to awardees, which include requirements for participating in the International Fellows Orientation Session and the International Fellows Poster Session (see Guidelines below).
Please refer to the below sites for details on this year’s SfN annual meeting and the past awardees. Neuroscience 2020 (SfN‘s 50th annual meeting):
The list of the past awardees:
Please find below the specific guidelines for this award. All application materials must be sent to email@example.com and received by the above deadline.
JNS encourages participation of members from diverse backgrounds and offers equal opportunity.
Chair, International Collaboration Affairs Committee, JNS
Guidelines for applications to the JNS-SfN Travel Award Exchange Program
The applicant must meet all of the following criteria.
a) Enrollment as PhD-seeking graduate student or a postdoctoral scientist working in Japan
b) JNS membership in good standing on the application deadline*
c) The applicant must be the first author of an abstract submitted to the SfN Annual Meeting
(*One can become a member of JNS within a few days.)
Events organized by SfN for awardees
- International Fellows Orientation Session (to be held during the SfN meeting)
- International Fellows Poster Session (to be held during the SfN meeting) The awardees are required to attend all these events. Further information on these events will be directly provided by SfN to the awardees.
Method of application
- 2,500 US dollars equivalent (the award will be provided in JPY)
- Award cash is remitted to recipients about two weeks prior to the SfN meeting. Note: The award cash must be used for the trip to attend the SfN 2020 meeting.
- Complimentary conference registration (SfN will refund the conference fee later) *
*Abstract submission fee and the membership fee of SfN are not waived.
- All application documents must reach the JNS office (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) by the below mentioned deadline:
July 16, 2020, at 12 p.m. (noon) JST
August 19, 2020, at 12 p.m. (noon) JST *extended!!
- All the materials, including the advisor’s recommendation, should be written in English.
The JNS Secretariat will send an e-mail acknowledgement to each applicant upon receipt of submission. If the applicant does not receive any reply within 4 days after submission, the applicant should check with the Secretariat.
Materials for application
- All the materials should be combined into a single pdf file.
- File Name: Your JNS Membership ID + your name.pdf
- Subject of the E-mail: Application to JNS-SfN Travel Award
- Application format
- Institution and Department
- JNS membership ID
- Gender (Male or Female) (optional)
- Statement of intent (200-250 words) that provides the summary of the applicant’s motivation and purpose for attending the meeting
- One-page letter of recommendation from the applicant’s academic advisor
- One-page curriculum vitae that includes the following information
- Education and professional experience, if any: please explicitly mention the date when the applicant received (or is expected to receive) his/her PhD degree.
- Honors/awards, if any.
- Bibliography of all peer-reviewed and invited publications, as well as meeting abstracts
- Copy of the abstract submitted to this year’s SfN meeting (An applicant must have completed submission of his/her abstract to SfN, before applying to the JNS-SfN travel Award)
The application deadline: July 16, 2020 at 12 p.m. (noon) JST
for any further questions.